DIY Instant Oatmeal
Are you are wanting to lose weight, eat healthy, or just manage time better this year? DIY Instant Oatmeal can help! January is Oatmeal Month, and since oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts I wanted to share some of my favorite combinations with you. Growing up, oatmeal meant blah – thick cereal that needed lots of brown sugar. I didn’t hate it, but I liked cold cereal better. I fell in love with oatmeal in college when I had a friend introduce me to PB, chocolate oatmeal. It was like eating cookies for breakfast; who wouldn’t love that! Since, I have put together many combinations with fruits, nuts, and other mix-ins for fun, healthy breakfasts.
Oatmeal on the stove can be time consuming, especially if you are washing or cutting fruit as well. Dry oatmeal is quick, shelf stable, and customizable. You can make a bunch one day and have breakfast for weeks.
The recipe is basic – just 1/3 cup quick oats, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 2-3 Tbsp of your favorite mix-ins. Simply add 2/3 cup milk and leave the in fridge overnight or pop in the microwave for 3 minutes and breakfast is ready. You may be used to using water for oatmeal, so why am I saying to use milk? Simple. Not only does it taste better (a bit thicker and creamier) but milk delivers protein. Oats + milk are a powerhouse combination: Oats + Milk = Protein + Fiber + 9 Key Nutrients
You can use any combination you would like. Feel free to try different fruits, spices, nuts, marshmallows…anything! Just remember it needs to be shelf stable so nothing that needs refrigeration (or add it just before cooking). Below are a list of a few I like.
- Sweet Raisin Nut– 1 Tbsp raisins, 1 Tbsp almonds, sprinkle of cinnamon
- Peanut Butter S’more– 1 tsp powered peanut butter (found with regular at the grocery store), 1 Tbsp milk chocolate chips, 1 Tbsp marshmallows
- Strawberry Banana– 1 Tbsp freeze dried strawberries, 1 Tbsp freeze dried bananas, sprinkle cinnamon
- Tropical– 1 Tbsp coconut, 1 Tbsp dried pineapple, 1 Tbsp, macadamias
- Chocolate Cherry– 1 Tbsp dried cherries, 1 Tbsp milk chocolate chips
- Blueberry Almond – 1 Tbsp dried blueberries, 1 Tbsp slivered almonds, sprinkle cinnamon
- Apricot Blueberry- 1 Tbsp dried apricot chopped, 1 Tbsp dried blueberries
- Other Ideas: Chocolate covered strawberry, sugar and spice, cranberry pistachio, blueberry coconut, banana walnut, peanut butter banana, blueberry cashew, apricot ginger, apple cinnamon, peach raspberry. The options are endless!
DIY Instant Oatmeal
Basic Oatmeal (1 serving)
- 1/3 c. quick oats
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp mix-ins
- Sprinkle of spices (optional)
- 2/3 cup milk ( added when ready to eat)
Measure out dry ingredients into small sealable container (could be jars, plastic containers, or Ziploc baggies) Store until ready to use. To make, add 2/3 cup milk and microwave 3 minutes or leave in the fridge overnight. Enjoy!
-Megan Ostler is a dietitian at Icon Fitness. She is a past employee and intern with the Dairy Council of Utah/Nevada